Board info:
  • No birthdays today
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests
  • It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 01:37

Best ISP for Quakelive?

Discuss hints and tricks to getting the best out of your quake game!

Best ISP for Quakelive?

Postby Peekay » 15 Mar 2010, 20:50

In my experience here is a breakdown of the ISP accounts I have:

Afrihost: cheapest and fastest at night. Kak high pings during the day though.

Telkom: great all round account but more expensive.

Web Africa: extremely good until they moved their network to Cape Town. Now I can't get below 50 pings on it. Useless for JHB residents.
Head Honcho.
Peekay

Quake Live Nick: peekay_za
Clan Tag: DKC

Re: Best ISP for Quakelive?

Postby supertramp » 15 Mar 2010, 20:56

Rofl, love the way people from JHB complain about WA...nevermind the fact that its exactly the same shit for us (in CPT) with every single other ISP. Servers in JHB, I'm lucky if I get under 40 on my 4mb with WA. Shit I remember playing on the Kala(JHB) and Zero(CPT) servers using an IS account - 60 ping on kala, 100 ping on zero...and I'm in CPT, now that's BS.

Anyway more to point, enjoy using WA...Afrihost is alright.
supertramp

Quake Live Nick: supertramp

Postby n0ble » 15 Mar 2010, 21:20

Im with telkom, 4mb (8mb soon) 36-39 ping. Pretty stable all round.
n0ble

Quake Live Nick: _n0ble_
Clan Tag: / xTc /

Postby peTerp00n » 17 Mar 2010, 01:57

WORST ISP FOR QUAKE: G-Connect... its damn cheap but its fucking useless for quake. higher average ping, packet loss, and fluctuation in the ping.

i use afrihost and i live in cape town. is there any isp out there that will get me a better ping?
peTerp00n

Quake Live Nick: peTerp00n
Clan Tag: xtc

Postby Gobz » 17 Mar 2010, 08:51

WA gives us a stable ping like n0ble most days in CT.
Gobz

Quake Live Nick: Gobz
Clan Tag: Many

Postby wezza » 17 Mar 2010, 09:13

Using Telkom on a 2mb line at the officem and Imaginet(IS) on a 4mb line at home, ping is pretty constant around 16.

So that tells me, its different ISP's using different backbones, different speeds of line and a constant ping... Actually that tells me nothing :?
wezza

Quake Live Nick: wezza

Postby linkin » 17 Mar 2010, 12:00

I have a 4mb line and tried QL with the ffg accounts:
IS local only
Afrihost
WebAfrica Prepaid (SAIX)
Axxess Prepaid

All were pretty much the same for me :P
Most of the time i use the local only though. But occasionally it gets stuck at "Waiting on XMPP connection", then i have to switch to one of the other accounts.
linkin
Site Admin

Quake Live Nick: linkinZA

Postby LavAzza » 17 Mar 2010, 13:35

I've got a 4mbit ADSL, and using 2 accounts. One for international (Telkom) and one for local (IS) Too bad the ping during “office-hours” is so bad. It's only at night (sometimes after 22:00pm) when it actually drops to a low of 38ms which is still bad imo.

The best possible ISP would have to be Telkom (SAIX) they're stable during the day and night. More expensive maybe, but not by much.

If only uncapped was affordable in this country.
LavAzza

Quake Live Nick: LavAzza

Postby Peekay » 17 Mar 2010, 14:11

LavAzza wrote:I've got a 4mbit ADSL, and using 2 accounts. One for international (Telkom) and one for local (IS) Too bad the ping during “office-hours” is so bad. It's only at night (sometimes after 22:00pm) when it actually drops to a low of 38ms which is still bad imo.

The best possible ISP would have to be Telkom (SAIX) they're stable during the day and night. More expensive maybe, but not by much.

If only uncapped was affordable in this country.

Sounds just like me dood. What I really don't understand is how I can try both accounts (telkom and IS) during the day and my ping will suck on both! Yet other players get proper stable on telkom all day within a few KM's from my place!
Head Honcho.
Peekay

Quake Live Nick: peekay_za

Postby saturnz » 29 Apr 2011, 11:47

When I was in the suburbs I was using a private network which shared three 10mb accounts (not sure with which ISP), ping initially was all over the place but as the administrator started tweaking it my ping dropped to a stable 50ms.

I have since moved and using the cellC thing, ping is around 80-90ms but stable enough to play, however the ping crashes as soon as the server goes over 10 players.

I was expecting it to be totally unplayable, with people telling me I would experience huge amounts of packet loss and extremely high ping, but its playable and I'm happy. My internet connection will probably be setup in the next few months and then I will be changing ISPs again, but at the moment the cellC thing has to do.
saturnz

Quake Live Nick: saturnz

Next

Return to Tech Talk