Board info:
  • No birthdays today
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest
  • It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 22:30

Regarding that big football match in June...

Anything unrelated to Quake in here.

Regarding that big football match in June...

Postby Peekay » 25 Mar 2010, 23:49

So what are your feelings on the SWC? I have always been optimistic about it and feel it's going to be a great event. My doubts lie in the hordes of supposed international visitors we've all counted on arriving. I think there is a two fold effect on the numbers expected in June:

1.) It's the year after a major recession and most of the first world haven't fully recovered yet.

2.) Our country has many negative connotations in the international communities eyes, some unfairly deserved but a lot of it we brought upon ourselves. We can try sponsor as many SKY sports news reports as we like, it won't change the fact that both Louis Theroux and Ross Kemp have done more than one documentary about our violent underbelly.

Many of the international friends and relatives I was expecting personally have pulled out from coming this year. Most of them have done it for financial reasons.

Carte Blanche reaffirmed my concerns at the start of March when they rang this story: http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/Article.aspx?Id=3863&ShowId=2.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic. I'm usually a fairly good optimist. I have to keep my realist cap in check though.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Are you personally looking after any international guests? Maybe renting your house out for the event? Let's hear the stories ;)
Head Honcho.
Peekay

Quake Live Nick: peekay_za
Clan Tag: DKC

Re: Regarding that big football match in June...

Postby Gobz » 26 Mar 2010, 16:38

Read an article today that loads of the tickets reserved for overseas use are being sent back because people simply weren't interested mainly due to the cost of air tickets and accomodation. We've really shot ourselves in the foot in that regard.

Personally I'm not really bothered one way or another...it's like...football *shrug*
Gobz

Quake Live Nick: Gobz
Clan Tag: Many

Postby n0ble » 26 Mar 2010, 16:42

I couldnt care less about it. If SA wants good things to happen then the people should do something a little more pro active than just signing up for welfare and building a stadium..
n0ble

Quake Live Nick: _n0ble_
Clan Tag: / xTc /

Postby themuffinman » 27 Mar 2010, 09:59

How about lack of transport (esp. in Cape Town, thanks to a certain retard who made a massive fuck up in calculating costs of the BRT). Also, if there is a golden opportunity for strikers to cause kak, it's the world cup - I doubt many of them will miss such an opportunity! Then of course if Julius 'JuJu' Malema makes ANY public appearance during the world cup, it'll be a disaster guaranteed.
themuffinman

Quake Live Nick: changes often!

Postby Boogzy » 03 Jun 2010, 18:28

what are south africa's plans after 2010 :?:

i'm more worried about that..
Boogzy

Quake Live Nick: Boogzy
Clan Tag: Oogzy

Return to Off Topic