Board info:
  • No birthdays today
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest
  • It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 09:45

Your day job.

Anything unrelated to Quake in here.

Re: Your day job.

Postby panda_jerk » 09 Apr 2011, 08:49

oh noes:/ Am studying for a lollerdegree in fashion and textiles. Dissertation title: "Using T-shirt slogans to create a uniquely South African socio-political commentary". I kid you not. gg Important Life Choices :D
panda_jerk

Quake Live Nick: panda_jerk
Clan Tag: BDSM

Postby saturnz » 14 Apr 2011, 08:51

I am actually not one to encourage people to study for the sake of finding a job, that in my view is simply training to do a job. This is risky as a job that is in favour now may not be in a few years time.

Studying should be about improving oneself, developing criticial thinking techniques and life skills- basically being an asset to society- all the romantic ideas one comes across in movies etc. But this view is no longer held in the very materialistic world we live in today.

Although I studied economics for many years, during which time I was actually introduced to QuakeWorld in my post grad years, it was never my intention to practice economics professionally. Infact one day my supervisor called me up and asked me what I was doing career wise and I replied I was building cars- she then offered me an opportunity to do research at the largest financial institution in SA, an offer I could not refuse.

I've been here now for four years and I have no intention of renewing my contract when it expires next year, in effect I will retire and seek other balanced ways of being productive.
saturnz

Quake Live Nick: saturnz

Postby n0ble » 14 Apr 2011, 12:00

I like how you somehow fitted quakeworld into that story of yours :P

Interesting thoughts, and while true, i do think that it works both ways in that your study choice does still determine where you end up, and it should kinda correlate to where you'd like to be career wise in the the future. Even if that means that the only thing you learn while studying is that you have absolutely no interest in your chosen field.
n0ble

Quake Live Nick: _n0ble_
Clan Tag: / xTc /

Postby saturnz » 14 Apr 2011, 12:26

I agree, studying a field will help in deciding whether you like it or not.

However I don't think you need to study something thats going to be linked with a career choice. Students who register for MBAs and CA conversion courses offered by UCT is testament to this, often studying fields totally unrelated to the final career choice.

But nevertheless, the point I was trying to make is that there is a difference between studying and training to do a job, which is what I feel most people do these days.

I only posted what I posted in reaction to what Panda Jerk had to say. I got the impression Panda Jerk was discounting the chosen field of study, but that choice is actually of no consequence actually, it is simply up to you how you wish to approach studying. It can prove* to be fruitful depending on your motivation.
saturnz

Postby n0ble » 14 Apr 2011, 17:36

*fixed :)
n0ble

Quake Live Nick: _n0ble_
Clan Tag: / xTc /

Postby panda_jerk » 16 Apr 2011, 21:39

Tbh I do discount fashion as a field of study. When I first started, I wasn't sure at all what I was going to do with it, but I thought I liked it. Now, I've come to realise that I have more depth as a person than what the industry has to offer and although I think that studying it has helped me grow as a person, I don't want to work in it at all. It was never solely about studying in order to get a job or earning money, it was about expressing my creative side, but I've grown to realise I'm more of a left-lober. And there are LOTS of people in the field that I have a lot of respect for and can take seriously, I just know its not for me and am finishing so my mom doesn't think I'm a write off:)
panda_jerk

Postby panda_jerk » 16 Apr 2011, 21:50

So basically what I'm saying is, I agree with you Saturnz, but in my case studying something for my own pleasure didn't quite work out the way I expected it to :)
panda_jerk

Postby saturnz » 18 Apr 2011, 09:05

well theres always economics
saturnz

Postby panda_jerk » 18 Apr 2011, 12:53

whahahahhahahahahahah! LOL sat, unfortunately that part of my left lobe lies dormant/doesn't work. It's learning to speak French for me, followed by a Psychology degree because what I have realised over the course of my degree is that I want to be a criminal profiler:)
panda_jerk

Postby saturnz » 18 Apr 2011, 13:24

In my view economics is an art and not a science which is why economists always disagree with each other and always have two opinions on the same topic.
saturnz

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic