Board info:
  • No birthdays today
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests
  • It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 22:43

Cape Town server

All Quake related discussion in here.

Cape Town server

Postby saturnz » 25 Nov 2013, 10:06

I have spoken to people at Cybersmart and they are willing to host a Quakelive server- two managers I know from my varsity days and they too used to be avid Quakeworld players and have also recently registered on Quakelive.

I just wish to know from people here if there are other attempts to host a server as I do not wish to pursue this in parallel to other activities.

They are also interested to know how Cybersmart will benefit and I will probably have to come up with some sort of pitch in that regard.

If the server is hosted it will certainly assist in improving my ping both in terms of actual latency and the quality of the connection as their office is two roads away from me.
saturnz

Quake Live Nick: saturnz

Re: Cape Town server

Postby Agent-Jeff-911 » 09 Dec 2013, 13:15

I've heard rumours for months of a CT quakelive server but nothing has come to fruition. ID only have a budget for 1 server in this region so there will not be a financial incentive for Cybersmart.

However, they will have some Capetonians admiration and I would be tempted to signup for ADSL through them if my ping were to be better than Afrihost.

J
Agent-Jeff-911

Quake Live Nick: jeffmess
Clan Tag: NDC

Postby saturnz » 19 Dec 2013, 15:52

I don't know about any rumours so I can;t comment.

I am currently in discussions with Cybersmart to install a 100mb fibre optic cable into my building and during these discussions I brought up the issue of a server.

I actually met the people from Cybersmart on the Quakelive servers and I have sent them the specs of the server required etc. but that is not priority at this point.
saturnz

Postby xTc.M4nimal » 10 Jan 2014, 16:29

Hi Saturnz

See this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=367, discussion between myself and Syncerror. I posted this to QuakeLive SA (and here) to try get someone to provide a server for CT, I had 2 people promising the world, but as per usual, nothing materialised. If you can arrange, I'd be glad to put id/Syncerror in contact with your hosting guys so id can do the install for them.

Let me know...?
xTc.M4nimal
Site Admin

Quake Live Nick: M4nimal
Clan Tag: xTc

Postby saturnz » 19 Jan 2014, 17:09

I will have an update in the week as to where I stand.

I'm currently trying to get a 100mb fibre optic line installed in my building, together with 128 static IPs. Once this is setup I will be able to host a server. The ISP is cybersmart as stated and they will have no problem prioritising Quake traffic.

The chairman of the Body Corporate and Cybersmart will be meeting this Tuesday and the trustees meet next week, I have the support of all the trustees except the chairman who wishes to iron out some of the legal issues.

So I am modestly optimistic. Things have been delayed for about a month because of the festive season.
saturnz

Postby stat1c » 21 Jan 2014, 22:08

I recently spoke to the folks from the gaming division of Mweb, and their response from ID software was that IS hold the license to host the quakelive servers.

I also saw feedback from Syncerror stating that there is no issue, and all that was required was a box to host on.

Not sure what to believe.

I was on your mission for ages, i got no results.
stat1c

Quake Live Nick: staticyo
Clan Tag: xtc

Postby saturnz » 24 Jan 2014, 07:37

if it is true that IS holds a license to host servers exclusively in SA then that is just another step to getting a server setup.

MWEB most likely were unwilling to approach IS to relax the terms of the license with ID.
saturnz

Postby Xt3rminator » 04 Mar 2014, 12:43

IS do have exclusivity on hosting quakelive servers in SA.
What would be the reasons for hosting servers in CT? would this just be for lower latency for when CPT players vs each other?
Xt3rminator

Quake Live Nick: _Xt3rminator

Postby stat1c » 05 Mar 2014, 13:50

Lower latency and for when jhb servers go down for maintenance.
stat1c

Quake Live Nick: staticyo
Clan Tag: xtc

Postby Xt3rminator » 07 Mar 2014, 17:15

let me see what i can do.
Xt3rminator

Quake Live Nick: _Xt3rminator

Next

Return to General Discussion