Board info:
  • No birthdays today
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest
  • It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:11

CA Uneven teams etiquette

All Quake related discussion in here.

Re: CA Uneven teams etiquette

Postby NOOBz » 12 Oct 2011, 12:46

I agree with fnx's original post and wish that everyone would follow those guidelines: the best CA games you'll play are the ones that are balanced, no matter what your objectives are.

Some people just don't care about keeping things balanced, for a variety of reasons I guess.

Either way, for me its all about being considerate towards others, you know...good manners, good sportsmanship and everything that goes with that.

Fortunately, most of the regular players try to keep things balanced.

Then just on the callvote teamsize discussion: it does not solve anything, it can help, but it is no solution. No matter what your team size is and in what state the teams are..balance is still key.

I just wish people will work on their attitudes towards others in QL.
NOOBz

Quake Live Nick: J4X
Clan Tag: oTc

Postby saturnz » 12 Oct 2011, 13:56

What is fair or balanced is subjective and what one person sees as fair and balanced may be in direct conflict with what someone else feels is fair and balanced.

My post was in direct relation to being flamed for making teams uneven.

So if someone cares that much about being teams being even (irrespective of whether they are fair and balanced), they should vote or atleast do something to try and maintain that teams are even- don't jump down my throat if you failed to take any action in that regard, irrespective of whether the teams were fair or balanced to start off with.

Unfortunately I do not have the energy to distinguish users who direct abuse at me, and on a regular basis I am often sworn at and disrespected, irrespective if my opponents win or lose. This is not my idea of what sportsmanship is, it may be yours but not mine.

Within that context I will join whatever server I feel like. I pay for my own internet connection and I'm not going to waste bandwidth watching people who have no respect for me. If someone out there is willing to pay for my internet connection I will do whatever they feel I must do in relation to my behaviour on the servers.

However until that happens I will do what I feel is in my interest since I have yet to see anybody do anything on the servers that is considerate to my interest, so I am not going to do anything that is in the interest of somebody else.
saturnz

Quake Live Nick: saturnz

Postby NOOBz » 12 Oct 2011, 21:01

Well even or uneven is the same as balanced or unbalanced, all depends on how you interpret it...
Either way, this thread is about uneven team etiquette and not about you.
NOOBz

Postby saturnz » 13 Oct 2011, 07:04

You can measure even teams by simply counting the players in a team.

How do you measure whether a team is balanced or not?
saturnz

Postby n0ble » 13 Oct 2011, 11:53

"so I am not going to do anything that is in the interest of somebody else."

Sigh, oh well that kinda sums up your attitude.

My issue with teamsize is simply that i prefer small teams, and leaving the teamsize open allows for ppl to join and change the original balance and size.

My issue with balance is when there is an obvious difference in skill between the sides. Its never going to be fair, thats why only one side wins. But it shouldnt be obvious just by looking at the teams to see whos going to win. its not entirely accurate, but if you see 4 members of a well known clan on one side vs 4 random ppl who arent as experienced, then its really stupid to keep it that way. Unless everyone agrees.

finally my issue with people who couldnt give a shit because they get sworn at, well theres a reason why people swear at you more than at others. Im just saying it would be nice if everyone could be a little considerate sometimes.

Noobz has the right idea.
n0ble

Quake Live Nick: _n0ble_
Clan Tag: / xTc /

Postby NOOBz » 13 Oct 2011, 15:29

saturnz wrote:You can measure even teams by simply counting the players in a team.

How do you measure whether a team is balanced or not?

This is measured by knowing your fellow players; like Noble's example. Of course there's no mathematical formula to apply that would produce a consistent outcome, but that's OK, the idea is to avoid 10/0, 10/1, 10/2 sort of games.
The closer you get the teams' final scores, the harder both teams had to work and I bet ya, the more fun they probably had overall. CA is meant for fun and teamwork; games are games, they exist because they are supposed to be entertaining and fun.

Either way, one will never get it perfect, no matter what strategy/ruleset/formula you apply. You are dealing with a variety of different personalities, age, gender and race, each with their own opinions of what will work.

Some final words:
"Wat jy saai sal jy maai". Respect others and they will respect you.

Peace!
NOOBz

Postby saturnz » 13 Oct 2011, 17:03

On your final note.

I have never disrespected anyone on the servers unless seriously provoked. And in most cases I generally do not react.

Unless there is someone here that can say otherwise?

With regards to balance, my gripe is with personal experience as I cannot speak on behalf of others. I have joined a CA, get flamed because according to the flamer I have caused a disturbance in the force. But the flamer is on the team thats leading 4 0. Moreover, as soon as I join, another player joins making the teams even, do I get an apology for being called a poes and kaffir? no, even though I had not significantly altered the balance of teams, or even the result.

Also I can make my demos available, and I ask you to show me where I significantly altered the balance of a game, or the result for that matter.
saturnz

Postby n0ble » 13 Oct 2011, 18:14

Youre not being accused of ruining games here. You just seem to have the attitude that says you dont care. And im just raising the point that it would be nice if there were more people who actually cared.

Its bad enough when you call a vote and it gets ignored. Its not hard to press f1 or f2. You seem to ignore people when theyre trying to talk to you, which is your choice. But it sometimes helps if youre a little more friendly to people.

This is a silly thread. :|
n0ble

Postby saturnz » 13 Oct 2011, 19:38

I play Quake to play Quake, not to have conversations.

It is ironic that people wish to chat on the Quake servers but when I am on IRC nobody speaks.
saturnz

Postby n0ble » 13 Oct 2011, 23:08

hehe this is one of the most active topics ive seen on this forum so far :P

Youre in the wrong channels maybe.
n0ble

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion