• No birthdays today
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests
  • It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 22:41

CA Uneven teams etiquette

All Quake related discussion in here.

CA Uneven teams etiquette

Postby fnx_za » 07 Oct 2010, 12:26

Uneven teams etiquette

* If the team with more people has a score that's tied with or close to the other team, then the bottom scoring players need to switch to make things balanced.

* If the team with more people has a large spread lead, then the top scoring players need to switch to make things balanced.

* If the team with less people has a large spread lead, then it's okay to keep the teams unbalanced until the lead narrows.

* If you are going to be the person that's about to join and make the teams uneven, then join the team that's losing.

* Lastly, if the teams are already even and one team as a very large spread lead, then it's acceptable for a top scoring player to switch to the losing team to help balance the skill handicap.

Thanks
fnx_za

Quake Live Nick: fnx_za
Clan Tag: xTc

Re: CA Uneven teams etiquette

Postby Peekay » 07 Oct 2010, 19:52

fnx_za wrote:* Lastly, if the teams are already even and one team as a very large spread lead, then it's acceptable for a top scoring player to switch to the losing team to help balance the skill handicap.

Guy's get bleak when I do this but it really is just making the game a little more enjoyable for everyone. Trust me, I hate losing my score.
Head Honcho.
Peekay

Quake Live Nick: peekay_za
Clan Tag: DKC

Postby Gobz » 11 Oct 2010, 18:09

Or how about we all suck it up for ten minutes and shuffle the next game? :D

I understand the intentions are good with these but no way would you get people to consider following them.
Gobz

Quake Live Nick: Gobz
Clan Tag: Many

Postby saturnz » 10 Oct 2011, 11:01

I think its also important to vote on the team size before the game begins, and probably shuffle the teams until everyone is happy.

If the game starts with the team size greater than the actual players playing, nothing stops another person from joining and there is a tacit acknowledgement that people can then join.

I often get flamed when I join a game when not all the spots have been filled, but in reality it is not actually my problem or fault, the teamsize should have been voted on before the game started.

But in saying that I'm not sure why people get angry on teamsizes in a CA in anycase. Its nature is very much arcade like and cannot really be taken seriously. I personally use it just to warm up for duels and practice my movement around maps and so forth.

I could understand people getting upset in a TDM or CTF mode where teamsize would matter quite a bit, but in CA its a non issue to me.
saturnz

Quake Live Nick: saturnz

Postby n0ble » 10 Oct 2011, 20:57

teamsize should always be set unless ppl dont care. Which most ppl do sadly. I do it because i want teams to be as small as possible. I do have issues with ppl joining just because theres space. Its such a dick thing to make the teams uneven just because you dont want to wait for someone else to join or leave.

CA is more arcadish, but its still as much of a game as any duel or tdm, and its my most played gametype. Just because you think its less important doesnt mean you should assume no one else gives a damn. And im sick to death at not being able to vote once a game has started. And the fact that you cant lock teams..
n0ble

Quake Live Nick: _n0ble_
Clan Tag: / xTc /

Postby saturnz » 11 Oct 2011, 07:18

So according to your post, if the teamsize is not locked one can safely say the people do not care.

If someone does care, it is that person's responsibility to make sure to vote on the teamsize and/or shuffle the teams. If that person does not do so then it is his or her problem, not the person joining.
saturnz

Postby n0ble » 11 Oct 2011, 13:11

You cant be serious. Im usually the only one who cares, and if i cant convince ppl to vote then its my problem if some c**t joins a 3v3 to make it unfair? yes its my problem. But theres still some bastard joining who could easily just wait. Its that attitude that pisses me off the most about ql...
n0ble

Postby saturnz » 11 Oct 2011, 13:36

Then lets put this another way.

If there is a 3v3 game and one person disconnects, what then? would you expect someone to voluntarily spectate while waiting for another person to connect?
saturnz

Postby n0ble » 11 Oct 2011, 13:47

Look you cant always have even teams, but even in that situation. Its "nice" if you either rebalance the teams, or if someones nice enough to spec. Theres really no point in playing a 2v3 if the teams are that unfair.
n0ble

Postby saturnz » 12 Oct 2011, 09:11

The smaller the team, the more likely it is that uneven teams will affect the result, however the bigger the teams the less likely an uneven team will have a significant result on the outcome. This is a statistical result.

From my experience, I have been in games where the smaller team wins and where even teams have still produced skewed results. There is simply too many variables that contribute to the outcome of a CA match and thus trying to simply ensure that teams are even is simply too narrow a view.

If you feel strongly about teamsize, try your best to make sure the game starts with a teamsize you are comfortable with. If nobody else cares about the teamsize it is unreasonable for you to expect them to care, this is how the voting system and democracy works.
saturnz

Next

Return to General Discussion